Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Thrash 'n dash

Bookmark

The Atlanta Thrashers have the best commercials. I have a fairly lengthy daily commute, and I listen to 680AM during my drives. The morning show, The Rude Awakening, is pretty funny most of the time. Just as funny is the newest radio spot for the Thrashers. You've probably heard it. A guy suddenly realizes he's become the biggest Thrasher's fan. He realizes he goes to games and sings along to the "Woo Hoo Song." In conversation, he confesses that when he dies he wants his ashes to be frozen within the rink ice at Philips Arena. He says, "That's my dream," and a very low voice immediately whispers in an awestruck reply, "That's greaaaat." It's funny.

I have an affinity of sorts for the Thrashers and their commercials. I'm not a huge hockey fan, though seeing it live is always exciting. Can you say, "board check?" I have always lived in Atlanta, and I like to support the home team. Wins and losses aside, the commercials have always been good. I was part of my band in years past, as many of you know, and we were asked once to record a radio spot for the Thrashers. It was an easy $250 for about 4 hours of work at a local commercial recording studio. We were asked to record some jazzy type jam, and then I was given a list of words/phrases to sing as voice overs. "Zamboni" and "Cuckoo for Kovalchuk" are the two that come to mind. It was put together with some promotional messaging and sounded pretty funny once it was on the air for the next couple months. As good as their markteting seems, their ownership, however, is ridiculous.

Bad trades, shotty deals and now a lawsuit account for a shaky Thrashers ownership group that doesn't know what its doing. Clearly Arthur Blank's influence isn't catching on. The Atlanta Spirit is a group of investors who apparently only enjoy the idea of owning sports teams. At the moment, they appear to own the Thrashers, along with the Atlanta Hawks NBA team. There is talk that in the aftermath of this recent verdict, they will try to sell the Thrashers. That turn of events could prove to be great, if a new owner is interested in improving what is clearly a popular franchise with some talent under its wings. At the same time, it also means that the team could be relocated to another city, leaving many fans without a focus. Speculation continues to spread.

For many, the Thrashers are a team that was born right before their anchored eyes and pumping fists. It's a rare thing to be a fan of any team from the time of its inception. Even rarer are commercials you actually want to hear and enjoy. I hope for the sake of Thrashers fans and my driving entertainment that the franchise sticks around.

1 comments. Leave Your Own!:

Scott said...

My favorite part of the ad:

"I want my ashes to be shot out of the t-shirt gun! hahahaha!"

Post a Comment